The Government of India has run different programs for the health insurance of the citizens. Adding to this list is the Ayushman Bharat scheme, for the welfare of poor and backward families. By registering with the scheme, entitled families would receive an Ayushman Card using which they become eligible for annual assistance of up to 5 Lakh rupees.
Also known as Jan Arogya Yojana, the Ayushman Bharat aims at providing convenient treatment for the poor and backward sections of India. The central government looks forward to helping at least ten crore people through this scheme. Working towards the welfare of the nation, the government included several hospitals as a part of Ayushman Bharat.
Ayushman Bharat Scheme Eligibility Criteria
The government of India issued guidelines for the diseases that could possibly be treated under the Ayushman Bharat scheme. These diseases are listed below:
- Pulmonary Valve replacement
- Prostate Cancer
- Anterior Spine Fixation
- Tissue expander for disfigurement
- Coronary Artery bypass grafting
- Skull base surgery
- Double Valve fixation
Some medical conditions where the PMJAY card is not applicable are as follows:
- Drug Rehabilitation Program
- Fertility related procedures
- Organ Transplants
- Cosmetic procedures
- Individual diagnosis
At present, there is a dilemma related to the inclusion of dental procedures into the Ayushman Bharat scheme. No insurance company provides any allowances for teeth. In that case, it would be an advantage for people to claim for the same from the scheme.
PMJAY has been divided among the rural and urban sections of India. The central government has set up some criteria for families to avail of the scheme. One can check the list here.
PMJAY Rural Eligibility
The government of India aims at uplifting the medical facilities for rural India. The following categories of this section are eligible for the Ayushman Bharat scheme.
- Families living in Scheduled Tribe and Scheduled Caste households.
- Families with no individuals and male members between 16 and 59 years of age.
- People surviving on alms.
- Families having no able-bodied adult and at least 1 physically challenged member.
- Primitive Tribal communities.
- Families living in houses with no appropriate roof and walls.
- Landless households making income as laborers.
PMJAY Urban Eligibility
Any family enrolled for the Rashtriya Swasthya Bheema Yojana are also eligible for the Ayushman Bharat scheme in urban households. The following families from urban India can benefit from the PMJAY scheme.
- Washermen, Chowkidars, Rag Pickers, Mechanics, Repair workers, and electricians.
- Sanitation workers, sweepers, and gardeners.
- Home-based tailors and artisans or handicraft workers.
- Transport workers like conductors, drivers, and rickshaw pullers, amongst others.
- Office peons and assistants in small offices.
- Shopkeepers, delivery boys, and waiters.
Several other categories are included and excluded from the scheme as per the central government’s directions. One can check the eligibility for the Ayushman Bharat scheme from the official PMJAY portal.
PM Ayushman Bharat Eligibility Check
Poor and backward families listed in Census 2011 are eligible to apply for the scheme. Families can check their eligibility for the Ayushman Card through the PMJAY official portal. The process is as given below.
- After opening the official website of PMJAY, one can find Am I Eligible option at the top-right corner of the website.
- Upon clicking the option, the page would prompt for an active mobile number followed by an online verification captcha.
- One has to enter these details and click on the get OTP option. A 6-digit verification code would be sent to the mobile number given. Enter the code in the specified area and click on submit.
- The window redirects to a new page. Here, one can choose between the name and ration card option. The portal shows a form based on the selection made.
- Enter all the necessary details and click on get details upon completing the same.
Upon completing the process, one can see the details based on the request. In case of eligibility, keeping the HHID number handy can help with the registration.
PMJAY Scheme Documentation
The government requires certain documents from eligible families to grant the beneficiary amount. One can apply for the Ayushman Bharat scheme by providing the following documents.
- Aadhar, Ration, PAN, Voter ID, Pension Photo, and Freedom Fighter Cards
- Birth Certificate or adoption certificate
- Other government IDs with a photograph
- Driving License
- Farmer Photo Book
- Any Photo ID proof issued by Gaz
Upon keeping all the necessary documents ready, one can visit the nearest Public Service Center for registration. The process is as given below.
- After visiting the Public Service Center, the applicant has to get all the documents verified by the agent of Jan Seva Kendra.
- Once all the documents are as per the government’s requirement, the agent would complete the process.
- Applicants would receive the Ayushman Bharat card within 10 – 15 days of application after the government’s approval.
The application process is online and is generally completed by the agents. If the applicant wishes to avail of the scheme benefits, they have to be aware of the hospitals accepting the same.
Ayushman Bharat Hospitals List
- The list of hospitals under the Ayushman Bharat scheme is updated on the official PMJAY website. Anyone can check the list in the following way.
- Upon opening the official portal of PMJAY, one can see the find hospital option on the menu bar.
- On clicking the same, the website asks for information like state, district, hospital name, and specialty, amongst others. Enter the appropriate details along with the captcha verification code.
One can see all the relevant information based on the search request. Checking this list before admitting to any hospital is beneficial in avoiding future discrepancies.