According to a report published today in, NDTV Sports, an explosive knock by Shubman Gill and Mohammed Siraj’s haul of four wickets has steered India to a win against New Zealand by twelve runs. This first ODI in Hyderabad has put India in a lead of 1-0 in the ongoing series. While batting first, India put up a mammoth score of three hundred and forty-nine at the loss of eight wickets in their fifty overs. During India’s Innings, Shubman Gill proved to be the star batsman. He had scored two hundred and eight runs making it his first double-century.
On the other hand, the innings of New Zealand did not start as per they have planned. They lost wickets in quick succession. However, Mitchell Santner and Michael Bracewell tried to give a little stability to their team. Together they have built a partnership of fifty-seven runs to keep the visiting team in the game. Nonetheless, Mohammed Siraj had bowled an exceptional spell. He dismissed Santner along with Henry Shipley in the same over, building pressure back on the New Zealand camp.
After that Bracewell tried again to give stability to the New Zealand innings scoring a hundred and forty runs. But, it was Shardul Thakur who hold the reigns and made him out in the final over. India won the match by twelve runs. Other than Siraj, Shardul Thakur, and Kuldeep Yadav has taken a couple of wickets each. This win has taken India to a 1-0 lead in this ongoing ODI series.
Moments During The Match
- During the forty-seventh over of the Indian innings, Blair delivers a short ball to Gill which he hit over the ropes for a convincing six.
- In the same over Blair delivers a widish yorker followed by another wide ball, both times leaving Gill clueless about tackling it.
- With a full toss delivery being cut across the deep point stealing a quick single, India finishes the forty-seventh over adding fifteen more runs to the scoreboard.
- In the forty-eighth over Gill again goes for a six off Ferguson.
- In the very next ball back again Gill scores another six.
- Back again Gill hits another six off Ferguson and completes his first double-century in ODI.
- In the forty-ninth over Gill hits another six off, Shipley.
- In the next ball of Shipley too, Gill makes a flat drive across the deep mid-wicket but Phillips makes a low-range dive. Gill is out. A majestic inning comes to an end.
- Shipley delivers the last ball of India’s innings. A full-hand delivery outside the off-stump. Yadav drives it across the point taking a single. India completes their innings at three hundred and forty-nine runs.